Wednesday 17 August 2011

WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Phone calls from abroad this week often begin with the caller asking me if I'm alright, if my family are OK, if everything's fine. The callers, of course, are referring to the disturbances and looting which broke out last week here in London and across a few other towns and cities in this England.

Other than sharing a clumsily-crafted 'I told you so' that numerous Twitterati have aimed at our Deputy Prime Minister of late, this is my england has thus far refrained from making any comment on last week's big news story. This has been noted by a friend of the site, Mr. stu bags, who has, in contrast, been out and about offering a personal reaction to what happened on the streets of our capital.

stu, as discussed here earlier this month, is the person responsible for the stencils-stickers-and-more activity on a whitewashed patch of an outer wall of the Camden Housing Office on the corner of Eversholt Street and Crowndale Road. stu's response to the recent upsets was to paste up six pictures of the trouble, each bearing the stencilled slogan 'WE HAVE A PROBLEM'. He then walked up the street to buy his dinner. In the twenty minutes he was away from the scene, his pictures were removed. So no photo, I'm afraid. "I wanted to make a statement for ALL to see....PICTURES and PUNCHLINE," he writes. "Obviously someone didn't agree....SO it's PUNCHLINE only":

3 comments:

  1. This is a difficult one, to have a STRAIGHT FORWARD,EASY TO UNDERSTAND,ANSWER,even to have an opinion...an opinion that funnels your immediate response and your 'I saw it coming a mile off' smug response.
    In a way, what I put up in 'the white rectangle' at first(which was removed within 20 minutes was 6 small prints of 'Hooded Anger' and Apocalyptic Fire with the stencil 'WE HAVE A PROBLEM')I see represents the PROBLEM we have...I dont believe for a minute that a person of society,no matter what class, would have objected with my statement and have left the prints for ALL to see and reflect ...so who has the mind-set that seeing those pictures dressed with a perfectly apt 'OPINION' takes offence enough to remove them?...I would like to believe it was someone involved in the ANGERFEST disagreeing with what I had to say.. one of the mislead, MTV drugged,'wanting things only MONEY can buy' generation. Who ARE BRAINWASHED by Advertisements everywhere they go... every time they turn the radio/TV on,that this is the thing they MUST have and its ONLY £.......ITS A WANT WANT WANT and NOTHING but the BEST will do Channel that our kids are feeding on that is (in my opinion)making them feel inadequate and insignificant...they saw an opportunity to be heard...and they took it. I get that...but for fuck sake burning the soul out of your own community and shiting on your own doorstep??? All the small independent business's wont recover from this so all that does is open up units for COSTA, STARBUCKS,WILLIAM HILL and fucking PARASITIC MacDONALDS to buy cheap....I dont even know if any of what Iv said makes sense but I think thats the overall acceptance of what happened..It doesnt make sense... I narrowed it down to 4 words 'WE HAVE A PROBLEM'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im away for a while so lets have a game...Im going to highlight letters in THE RECTANGLE for you to solve the anagram...are you in....Ill take a photo in case letters go missing...

    ReplyDelete