Wednesday 3 August 2011

calling the mystery poet

As recently mentioned, this is my england has recently made the online acquaintance of one stu bags, the Camden Town-based candid snapper and stencils-and-stickers jockey who has been playing around on this blog's absolute favourite whitewashed rectangle in the whole world.

In a recent exchange in the comments boxes of this very site, stu explained the order in which his various adornments had been added to said patch of white paint on a London street corner:
The white rectangle turned up after the council took objection to a small black butterfly stencil being planted...I thought it was a tad OTT hence the NOTHING TO SEE HERE...after a while the NOTHING TO SEE HERE was still there(lasted way longer than the Flutterby)I added I TOLD YOU.....time past and I found sticky backed kids letters in the 99p shop and added SO BE IT which didnt last long (thats where the green O came from)UR MUM RANG was a piece I saw in Brick Lane while peeing in the toilets of The Three Bells or Ten Bells,not sure how many bells,that didnt last that long either....the small 'theres is nothing to see here,I just want to talk' is the first line of a poem that someone stuck to the wall,seriously a full A4 poem written because of the THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE(Id like to believe that)
The poem, it seems, did not last long. Perhaps stu's enemies from Camden Council were the ones to rip it from the outside wall of their Housing Office. 

Happily, though, stu had the presence of mind to capture the piece on camera so we have a record of what was written. This is especially fortuitous because it seems that stu may well not be hoping in vain that this was an original work, typed out in direct response to his 'THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE' stencil. I've tried to find the work online, putting various bits of it into quotation marks and into the Google search box. All to no avail. So if it's a previously published work, it does seem to be an obscure one.

So, take a look at the poem. If you know who wrote it, if you wrote it yourself or if you have any clues, be sure to give me (or stu) a shout. We're mystified:

Go home

There is nothing to see here but I wanted to talk
There is never enough space on the hard drive
But there is always enough time to waste for now
Your universe is too crowded to allow space for me
anytime soon
But is it such a sin to be so rich? Only if it is in
money you fool
I wanted to live a bit but I didn't know when to stop
I believed I could drink a lot more to avoid the last
drop
I hoped to avoid real danger just as the real danger
was stalking me
I liked visiting other people's dreams even if it was
only their art
Put him down you don't know where he's been. He
could be your god
Or any other human being futile but vain and
improvably insane
It must be possible to write something proudly
temporary as graffiti
Memories are for tomorrow so it will take infinity
to get rid of me

1 comment:

  1. i don't know who wrote it but i love it. maybe it's just my own personal connection to the building and what i'm reading into it (and the stencil) but it makes my heart ache.

    ReplyDelete