Friday 1 July 2011

a disappointment and a discovery

this is my england has for some time been fascinated with a rectangle of white paint on the Eversholt Street side of the Camden Town Housing office, which stands on the corner of Eversholt Street and Crowndale Road.

Back in April, it was noticed that this whitewashed patch bore the blue stencilled message: THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE - not just once, but twice. It appeared in quite large capital letters in the bottom right-hand corner of the white painted rectangle, and again, smaller and in lower case letters in the top left-hand corner. The smaller version is also appended by the addition of 'but I want to talk.'

Was this a comment on the whole of London? Or just on Eversholt Street? Or just the Camden Town Housing Office? Answer: unknown. Whatever the case, it seems someone other than the stenciller took objection to the message - another hand had placed a clumsily executed black X through the slogan.

The gimlet eye of this is my england was applied to the camera viewfinder and a picture was taken. It was not a well-composed shot so it did not make it onto these pages.

On May 5th, the Camden Town Housing Office took on another role, serving as a polling station for the referendum on proposed changes to the way that Members of Parliament are elected in the United Kingdom. As all British readers will know, a vote on the issue was one of the few concessions given to the Liberal Democrats when they disgracefully agreed to renege on every promise made in their General Election Manifesto in order to grab the junior role in the Coalition Government. Happily, the 'Alternative Vote', a grubby and over-complex halfway house between the current first-past-the-post system and truly proportional representation, was rejected by an overwhelming majority of the 42% of voters who could be bothered to get off their arses. I guess 58% of adult Britons don't give a fuck how the electoral system works. They would rather be scratching scratch cards and watching Coronation Street, I guess.

Any road up, one in the eye for that smarmy cunt Nick Clegg. So it's all good.

On the evening of referendum day, this is my england noticed that a 'POLLING STATION' sign had been placed very close to the white painted rectangle and the crossed-out stencilled message. The slogan took on new life, offering a comment presumably never planned by the sloganeer.

Lighting conditions were not ideal. But, imperfections notwithstanding, the resulting co-occurence of the machinery of British democracy with a somewhat nihlistic stencilled slogan created an image that did seem right for these pages.

Of course, the 'POLLING STATION' sign was removed the next day. 

Over time, the blue slogan has survived well, remaining clearly legible. The black X has, on the other hand, faded almost to the point of disappearance. In an exciting development, another slogan, probably put there by some other sloganeer, has appeared below the original one. This reads: I TOLD YOU

Is this one message? I TOLD YOU that THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE? Maybe.

Someone has also added a rather drab purple tag. But we won't dignify that with a comment.

Yesterday, this is my england was passing the scene of all this action minus a decent camera. The lack of the camera was instantly regretted. Some new absurdist had added some colour to the oblong patch of white paint. This was in the form of letters closely resembling the kind that appear on fridges everywhere in magnet form, especially in houses with young children. These had somehow been stuck to the wall and arranged to form the message: YOUR MUM RANG

A photo was needed. But it was only possible this evening. So this is my england was praying that the recently applied letters had not been removed. Disappointingly, some of them had. The message now reads: Y U   U   A G - the letters R, M, M, R and N have all disappeared. The O has been shifted to a position above the slogan THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE.


The strong sense of disappointment, however, has been somewhat mitigated by a discovery. A little to the right of this painted patch (not in shot in any photos here) is a bench. Who would sit on it? Could it be used very much? It does, after all, stand close to a busy road junction, opposite a seedy massage parlour and in a generally non-picturesque location. It seems, however, that this wooden seat is quite well used. This is proven by a visit to a website whose existence is now flagged up by having its handwritten URL appearing at the top of the white painted rectangle: 


The unnamed creator of this site has, since some time in 2010, been taking photos of people who stop to sit on the bench. If you've ever sat on the seat in question, perhaps you've been caught on camera. Have a look.

THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE? So, so not true.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking notice of my stuff. The white rectangle turned up after the council took objection to a small black butterfly stencil being planted...I thought it was a tad OTT hence the NOTHING TO SEE HERE...after a while the NOTHING TO SEE HERE was still there(lasted way longer than the Flutterby)I added I TOLD YOU.....time past and I found sticky backed kids letters in the 99p shop and added SO BE IT which didnt last long (thats where the green O came from)UR MUM RANG was a piece I saw in Brick Lane while peeing in the toilets of The Three Bells or Ten Bells,not sure how many bells,that didnt last that long either....the small 'theres is nothing to see here,I just want to talk' is the first line of a poem that someone stuck to the wall,seriously a full A4 poem written because of the THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE(Id like to believe that)I have a picture of the poem if you would like to read it....where can I post it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and Half A Pretty Face... her name is Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to 'meet' you, anonymous. How did you find this blog?? - if you send the picture of the poem to thisismyengland@hotmail.com, I'll post it on the blog myself. Have you got a blog/site/anything yourself somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your comment on my bench site....Thanks.....I hope I havnt taken any of the magic out of the 'white rectangle'...even as we speak I am taking pictures of the bench....I have to sit down today and update the site. I didnt even know people were looking at it.....Ill hunt that picture out for you right now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it's even MORE magical now... so you're the bench site person as well as the "nothing to see here"/white paint/girl's face/ur mum rang dude... nice... a renaissance man (or woman?)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I managed to find the pics of the poem...They are heading for your in box now....Im not that anonymous now...I have had a look through your photos and I love every one...we have the same eye....check my page on spraygraphic.com search stu bags (I dont normally have a space but I was drunk at the time of setting it up)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iv sent you a copy of the poem....so Im not Anonymous anymore.....Iv searched on line to see if someone just copied it but I could not find any hits on the title 'Go Home' or the first line....I would like to think that I inspired someone to write that,since my gran was a published poet and I have pushed a pen in moments of headfuck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks... all of this will doubtless inspire me to write something this evening, so look out for that.

    Re: the photos: THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. look out for the next piece on the wall....its a photocopy of a punk on the bench printed onto a page of The Necronomicon.....It will be up in half an hour...oh by the way Megs is my Daughter and she is loving the fact you called her pretty.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im in the midst of printing out the ten best Bench photos full size 2meters by 1.5 on billboard paper and going on an art campaign but its 40 quid a print so Im having to be very selective of where to put them....Ill send you a pic of my practise one,wrong type of paper and it was down the next day....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I hope to see your punk later on this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i first saw the stencil last december. i hadn't been past in months and was excited to see the additions this week. it might seem silly but the stencil really spoke to me-i love it. i'd love to see the poem too!

    ReplyDelete